Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Scientific Method Scenario

1)  The student might be working the graveyard shift and only getting a couple hours of sleep before entering the classroom.

2)  Test:

     a)   I would  suggest that he move up in front of the class and keep himself engaged by asking questions and participating more, advise him not to eat to heavy as that makes everyone sleepy.
     b). If  moving to the front of the class and participating more will keep him from falling asleep.
That would support a testable hypothesis.
     c)  If that does not work, then that would be a falsified hypothesis.
3) An untestable example would be his head become heavier at a certain time of day and he can't keep it up which puts him to sleep.

6 Comments:

At January 3, 2018 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, first of all the hypothesis you made is testable, but the test you made are nothing to do with your hypothesis because if you think the reason of he fall asleep in class is lack of sleep, why your test is changing his sit in class, I think the test could be let him stay with you after class, and watch him to sleep in the night.
Hope this could help you.
thanks

 
At January 3, 2018 at 2:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I honestly laughed way to hard at your untestable explanation. I mean it may be testable if you weighed his head consistently throughout the day, but then again that would be interesting to see.

I do think that the tests you would run could in fact see a possible change by the sheer concept of keeping him engaged and making them participate.

Thank you for sharing.

 
At January 3, 2018 at 3:40 PM , Blogger Jessica G said...

Hello, your hypothesis is testable. I would change the way you test the student. I would encourage the student to set up a schedule that will give him enough hours of sleep and to attend class wide awake. But overall great Hypothesis.

 
At January 3, 2018 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Estefania Martinez said...

Hello,
I think you have a great hypothesis however, I would probably switch up the test to go a bit more with the hypothesis or switching up the hypothesis to go with the test. For example, you say that the graveyard shifts might be the reason for his sleepiness in class, so maybe you could test that by figuring out if he truly does work graveyard shifts. You could figure out his days off and see if there is a change between the days that he works graveyard and the days that he doesn't. Overall, I do think it was a really good hypothesis and the test were separately great as well. For the untestable explanation, I agree with Brandon that maybe it could be tested by weighing his head at different times throughout the day.
Great job!

 
At January 3, 2018 at 11:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hey!
For starters I’d like to say that your untestable explanation really had me laughing a lot. Very creative and even gave me a funny visual in my head. Second, I would suggest relating your test to the hypothesis so that it proves that the graveyard shifts are responsible for the students sleep in class. Overall good and creative effort I enjoyed!

 
At January 4, 2018 at 5:16 PM , Blogger L Rodriguez said...

Testable Hypothesis (5/5) - So you are hypothesizing that the primary cause here is lack of sleep, correct? So any test must try to resolve that issue.

Test (3/5) - How does this address lack of sleep? Couldn't we just make sure he gets a full night sleep? What you are actually testing here is location of seat in class AND food intake. Keep in mind that we can only test one cause at a time.

Support (3/5) - Yes, this would support a testable hypothesis but not the hypothesis you've proposed. What you needed to do is make sure he has a full-night's sleep and then see if he stays awake in class. That would support YOUR hypothesis.

Falsify (2/5) - If "what" doesn't work? Let's be very specific here. What you needed to say here was that if the student gets a full-night's sleep and STILL falls asleep in class, this would falsify your hypothesis.

Untestable Hypothesis (5/10) - Like other commenters, I chuckled over your comment here, but on a serious note, why wouldn't this be testable? Keep in mind that "absurd" isn't the same thing as "untestable". Just because something is ridiculous doesn't mean it can't be falsified. I can hypothesize that the student is a superhero and gets no sleep at night because he spends his nights flying around the city, fighting crime. Yes, ridiculous, but I can falsify this by just observing the student an noting that he doesn't leave his house at night. :-) So why can't we just weigh the student's head to see if his head is the same weight? Wouldn't this falsify your hypothesis?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home